Tuesday 22 May 2012

One Swallow doesn't make a summer.......

               

            But.........hopefully a whole flock does!              At last they're here.....






I can't remember a time when the Swallows and House Martins have been this late, but today for the first time I've seen them, and what a welcome sight.

The courage of these little birds never ceases to amaze me and I always look in awe when they finally arrive on our shores from Africa.  That they make the flight at all is something beyond comprehension and the fact that they always fly back to the previous year's nesting site is incredible.

I find it sad that so many people now have permanent barricades around the guttering to stop them nesting.
It's true you find their droppings, often where you would least want to, but how long does it take to clean it up and what a small price to pay for a glimpse into their world.

Thankfully the Wildlife & Countryside Act of 1981 makes it a criminal offence to actually harm any of the birds or their nest once building has started.

I'm happy to say I welcome them and even though last year's nests need a little TLC I'm sure it won't be long before the sound of their young once again fills the air.


                                 After all what a poor world it would be without them.

I

6 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! Hopefully summer will start a little sooner now that you spotted the flock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and a lovely blog.

    Stop on by for a visit.
    Flynn & Roxy
    http://destructivepuppy.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. How odd... everything here was earlier than usual. I'm glad people can't hurt them after nesting starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. me too.......just visited your site, beautiful

    ReplyDelete