Thursday 26 April 2012

A little happiness goes a long way........






They leave pawprints on your heart....


Having worked for many years in animal welfare it never ceases to amaze me the capacity that animals have for love, even when sadly, they have suffered from ill-treatment or neglect.  In many instances it takes only a word or a kind act and they will be your friend always.  For some it takes much longer and for a few, it comes too late, when not even the kindest and gentlest of people can convince them we mean no further harm.


Yesterday as I was working I saw a dog,  he was a cross breed, quite large, probably Labrador x Collie, black and tan and very handsome - and he wore the biggest smile I've ever seen.  Big enough to stop me in my tracks and watch him.  His owner was tiny in comparison but the bond between the two was clear enough for the whole world to see.  They were doing nothing special, just walking along the street, him with a toy in his mouth, bouncing along clearly ready for the game he knew they were going to play at some point on the walk.

His whole demeanour said look at me, isn't it great to be alive and he in turn, made me smile.

Nothing spreads happiness like happiness itself and there are no greater teachers, than the animals that surround us daily.






5 comments:

  1. How heart warming on a wet and rainy day! - that has made me smile ... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through PBU! Some times I see owners walking their dogs throughout my day, or maybe they are dog walkers, who knows. But I love the look up they give and the smile on their face when they know for a bit they will be having an excellent time, even if just on a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! Made me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Found you on PBU! Good to see more animal lovers out there blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments.
    I'm just back from a few days in Portugal - but that's for another day and another post - let's just say that I left a little bit of my heart out there.

    ReplyDelete