Friday 15 June 2012

Where would we be without him.........

I thought maybe this is a good time to update one of my previous posts about Fudge, my diabetic cat.
He was diagnosed in July of last year and the last 11 months have proved not only fraught at times but have provided a number of 'ahhhhh' moments.

I have two other cats, brothers, Jax & Jet who at various times have been the bane of Fudge's life, ganging up on him when they were kittens, sleeping with him when it's cold and generally plaguing the life out of him but all in all, it's a happy home and Fudge has taught them a thing or two along the way.

Not long after Fudge was initially diagnosed, and we were still at that delicate stage of balancing food intake with insulin, I noticed that Jax in particular was hovering around him a lot more and when he wasn't there Jet appeared to be.

Now Jet has a finely tuned attention span, which means he doesn't really have one and although he took on his new role as nursemaid willingly enough, you could see his heart wasn't entirely in it.  He would wander off to watch something more interesting and then forget to come back.
Jax on the other hand was Fudge's almost constant companion, taking it all very seriously, faithfully following him around and sitting close by.

One morning I was working in the office and Jax appeared with his usual plaintive cry for biscuits (for a large cat he has a surprisingly small meow) which I ignored telling him he'd already had them.  He turned and walked away, going back downstairs and I thought no more of it until he appeared again about five minutes later.  We went through the whole process again and again he disappeared only to appear again almost instantly demanding attention.  Frustrated but knowing the only way to appease him, I followed him downstairs and offered him a few more cat biscuits which he very pointedly ignored and went outside.
Amused more than concerned I followed him outside only to find Fudge collapsed on the decking, having his very first hypo.

Jax in favourite position outside my office
Has he got more than me?







I have no idea what was going through Jax's mind but I do know that he sensed something was wrong and he doggedly (excuse the pun) kept on at me until I realised it too.  I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't and to this day whenever Fudge isn't quite as he should be, his faithful black shadow is sure to have something to say on the subject - and now? -  well now I always listen.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, good thing you heard the warning! Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two cats don't really get on but when one had got herself stuck on the garden fence (more like impailed) the other one stayed with her until I got her unstuck.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - animals never cease to amaze me and people even more when they say they aren't intelligent!

    ReplyDelete